If you feel confused and scared, you are not alone. Most women who turn to us are not sure what to do. You have choices and we are here to help you decide what is best for you and your situation, with absolutely no judgment or pressure. Asking yourself some important questions can help you determine if you are ready to be parent a child. Not everyone is ready to become a mother.
Here are some important questions you should ask yourself to see if you are ready to raise a child:
1. What do I want out of life for myself?
2. Could I handle a child and a job and/or school at the same time?
3. Have I managed school and/or a job and other activities well in the past?
4. Am I ready to give up the freedom to do what I want to do, and when I want to do it?
5. What is an example of something I would have to give up by having a child?
6. Am I willing to cut back on my social life and stay home while my friends go out?
7. Would I miss my free time and privacy?
8. Can I afford to support a child?
9. Do I want to raise my child in the neighborhood I am living in now?
10. How might a child interfere with my growth and personal development?
11. How would parenting a child interfere with my educational plans?
12. Am I willing to give a great part of m y life – at least 18 years – to being a responsible parent?
13. Do I like doing things with children?
14. Do I want my child to be like me?
15. Do I expect a child to make my life happy?
16. When I am around small children for a while, how do feel after being around them?
17. Am I able to give the child the love he/she needs and deserves?
18. Am I patient enough to deal with the noise, confusion, and the 24-hour-a-day responsibility of having a child?
19. What kind of time and space do I need for myself?
20. What do I do now when I am angry or upset?
21. What would I do when I am angry or upset?
22. What does good discipline mean to me?
23. How would I discipline a toddler?
24. Do I get along with my family?
25. How would I take care of my child’s heath and safety?
From Is Parenting for Me Now? Published by Loving and Caring, Inc.
Only you can decide if you are ready to raise a child. Our counselors are here to answer all of your questions and to help you make your decision.
Whatever you choose, we are here with you every step of the way.