History

Infant of Prague Adoption Service (also known as Infant of Prague Central California Adoption Services) was founded in 1953 by priests and lay people affiliated with the Catholic Diocese of Fresno.  For many years, the agency operated as a member of Catholic Charities, maintaining its own Board of Directors.  Gradually assuming greater independence in its operation, Infant of Prague officially separated from Catholic Charities in 1997.  We are a full service, nonprofit, secular licensed adoption agency.

Name of Agency

The agency took its name from a popular devotion to the Infant Christ Child of Prague, Czechoslovakia, dating back to the 16th Century.  Since the devotion stressed special blessings for children and families, it seemed an appropriate name for an agency that was dedicated to serving the needs of children by building healthy adoptive families.  Despite its international name, the agency is only licensed for domestic adoption and is not affiliated with any other agency of the same name.